|BERKELEY BUDDHIST TEMPLE|
The two-day bazaar and arts festival, which is the major fundraiser for the temple, will be held from 3 to 9 p.m.
Saturday, May 19, and from 12 noon to 7 p.m. Sunday, May 20. The entertainment will be from 12 to 5 p.m.
Sunday, May 20.
The festival will also feature traditional Japanese and Hawaiian foods, children's games and
a silent auction that will include vintage Japanese collectibles, artwork, and sports items.
Keiki Hula of Academy of Hawaiian Arts
Also returning at this year's festival will be AHAmele, the music ensemble from the Academy of Hawaiian Arts
in Oakland. AHAmele performed at the 2013 and 2014 Satsuki Bazaar and Arts Festivals. The ensemble
incorporates upbeat strums, ipu drum rhythms, ukulele picking, sweet vocal harmonies and singing parts to
arrangements of Hawaiian language songs to make its unique sound. The keiki hula (children) will be
performing with the AHAmele ensemble.
The Berkeley Buddhist Temple's Bazaar Annual Gift is a program which donates funds to community service organizations.
A portion of this year's proceeds will go to benefit
Easy Does It, which provides assistance to disabled persons and seniors living independently in Berkeley.
Easy Does It offers temporary emergency attendant care, accessible transportation, wheelchair repair and assistive device repair.
- 2018 Easy Does It
- 2017 Bay Area Rescue Mission of Richmond
- 2016 Maya's Musical Therapy Fund
- 2015 Asian American Donor Program (AADP)
- 2014 Women's Daytime Drop-in Center
- 2013 The Friends Of@disabled Children
- 2012 Alzheimer's Services of the East Bay
- 2011 Berkeley Food & Housing Project
- 2010 J-Sei
- 2009 Niroga Institute, and George Mark Children's House
- 2008 Asian Neighborhood Design, and East Bay Asian Youth Center
- 2007 North Berkeley Nikkei Senior Center
- 2006 Jodo Shinshu Center
- 2005 Sakura Kai, and West Coast Children's Center
- 2004 Japanese American Services of the East Bay (JASEB), and Crisis Support Services of Alameda
- 2003 Asian Pacific Islander Legal Outreach, and Buddhist Peace Fellowship (Prison Chaplaincy)
- 2002 The Women's Refuge, and Asian Community Mental Health Services (ACMHS)
- 2001 Spanish Speaking Citizen's Foundation, and North County Women's Center